Sicily, Naples and Turin: 1733-1764. Together 6 items: 1 broadside (46 x 34.5 cm) + 5 bandi (folio sheets, each folded once, various sizes, various wear, some signatures clipped, others supplied in manuscript, assorted manuscript annotations, extracted from bindings). Very good. Item #1067
Small but very interesting collection of Bandi on the prohibition of tobacco, all scarce (none are found in OCLC / FirstSearch). As there was no centralized government in Italy, the restrictions on Tobacco was a quagmire of regional taxation, restriction, and monopolization, as is attested by the bandi in the present collection. Increasing tobacco consumption in the Italian penensula merited the establishment of fiscal laws by various States. The present items illustrate the expansion of tobacco culture, and the disjointed governmental responses from Sicily, Naples, and Turin:
1. Broadside: Carlo [...] La Regia Giunta eretta da S.M. per il Dritto proibitivo del Tabacco (3 May 1758).
2. Noi il Conte d' Americo Amari [...] del gius proibitivo del Tabacco (23 January 1746), 2 pp.
3. Noi d' Michele Amari conte de S. Adriano [...] del Jus prohibendi del Tabacco (23 January 1740), 2 pp.
4. Noi Don Giuseppe Termine e Ferreri [...] del Jus prohibendi del Tabacco (30 November 1733), 1 p.
5. Manifesto Camerale per la vendita. de distribuzione del Tabacco nel Luogo di Refrancore (14 May 1762), 3 pp. with Tariffs.
6. 5. Manifesto Camerale che ristabilisce la vendita, e distribuzione del Tabacco nel Luogo di Rochetta Belbo (13 February 1764), 3 pp. with Tariffs.